KOREAN SPA EGG RECIPE

Every once in awhile I get carried away and forget to eat lunch, which needs to be my heaviest meal of the day. Or, on the days I'm feeling no strength, I physically can't create, prepare, and clean up a meal. So, these spa eggs are an easy-to-make, easy-to-peel snack, and you can make as many at a time as your
oven shelves will hold. Although eggs aren't part of the vegetarian Ayurvedic diet, my strength has been so depleted over the years, that Vladimir Kazinets said I need to eat meat while I continue to heal. The recipe is below.

I discovered that when I was in Korea for two months this winter, I really liked the spa eggs that are served in the bath houses, called jimjilbangs. There are usually three on a plate with a packet of salt, served warm, just after being slow cooked in the hottest sauna. The salt appeals to my Vata body's need for salt. They end up being as brown on the inside as the brown shell on the outside. What's surprising is
how much I enjoy how easy these little brown nuggets of simplicity and joy are to peel. It took a lot of research but after a lot of trial and error, I finally figured out how to make them. 

The recipe is deceptively simple. Here it is:

Preparation time: 2 min. 
Baking time: overnight 
Quantity made: as many as will fit on oven shelves

Before going to bed, preheat your oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit (93 Celsius). Fill a rimmed baking sheet with as many eggs as it will hold. Place on the middle rack. Bake overnight, or for 9 - 10 hours during the day. That's it. So, since today is one of those days where I didn't take time to prepare myself a warm meal, I'm going to have a few right now, then make myself some warm broth.

A special thanks goes to my sister, Gwendolyn, who took this picture and sent it to me. I felt so happy to learn how to make them, that I brought one for my two sisters and mother when we met for our usual Tuesday lunch.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative